My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 6:07:42 pm
Arbola

I am in a pickle here in Texas. The engine cover on my rebuild was stuck, so the hood rested in the closed position but would not lock down. I squirted WD-40 on everything. The hood latched and locked the hood down,  the release cable is frozen solid. Any sggestions? (confused)  Thanks in advance.
Arbola
Never let the winds of anger Blow out the flame of intellegence.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 8:06:47 pm
Pete

The engine release mechanism is design to fail safe.  That means if the cable breaks then the engine lid should automatically release.  This leads me to believe that the cable is OK and its a matter of alignment.

If you can get someone to help you, then one person needs to pull gentle on the release handle on the door pillar while the other gentle pushes the engine lid up and down and even side to side.  This oiften will fix the problem and release the catch.

Once its released that adjust the catch so the plunger is more direct over the centre of the latch mechanism so it doesnt happen again.  Double check to make sure everything is lubricated before you re-shut the engine lid, including checking the cable is pulling the release latch freely and easily.

Good luck..... :agree:

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 10:11:29 pm
Arbola

I will give it a try this evening. Thanks
Arbola
Never let the winds of anger Blow out the flame of intellegence.

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 1:38:47 pm
Pete

Good luck with it.....

It has worked for me before.....Im going to move this thread to "Bodywork".

Let us know how you get on.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 7:28:23 pm
MarkyMarkW67

On a similar subject, my son appears to have leant on the engine release handle on the door pillar whilst getting himself out of the back seat ... although he says he found it on the floor on exiting the car!!!... on inspection the handle has completely sheared and i'd like to relace or repair it. My problem is that now I can neither access the engine bay as it is locked with no way of releasing now that the handle is off and i'd like to know how to access the mechanism ie; is access to the mechanism (handle end) gained by removing the internal trim adjacent to the rear seat and if so how is this done and are there any diagrams anywhere, in manuals etc showing how the whole release mechanism works or is replaced?... I'm sure I'm probably clutching at straws here as I'm sure not many have experienced such a problem??

Help please ...anyone!?!?
Mark

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 9:17:47 am
Pete

Quote: MarkyMarkW67 at Aug 20, 2009 7:28:23 pm
On a similar subject, my son appears to have leant on the engine release handle on the door pillar whilst getting himself out of the back seat ... although he says he found it on the floor on exiting the car!!!... on inspection the handle has completely sheared and i'd like to relace or repair it. My problem is that now I can neither access the engine bay as it is locked with no way of releasing now that the handle is off and i'd like to know how to access the mechanism ie; is access to the mechanism (handle end) gained by removing the internal trim adjacent to the rear seat and if so how is this done and are there any diagrams anywhere, in manuals etc showing how the whole release mechanism works or is replaced?... I'm sure I'm probably clutching at straws here as I'm sure not many have experienced such a problem??

Help please ...anyone!?!?

Ouch!  I bet your son is popular in your household at the moment  :blush:

The mechanism is just a straight steel tube that runs from the back of the door pillar where the pull was and runs under the wheel arch atraight round into the engine bay.

If you cant see the wire and reach it womehow with long nose pliers, then I guess you need to get to it via the tube under the arch.  Get it up on a jack and clean it out with a jet washer and see whats what.

One other thought, the engine lid latch mechanism is designed to fail safe, i.e., when the wire snaps then the lid should pop open.  If it hasnt popped open then the mechanism is probably just stiff.  As a suggestion you could try gently wiggling the lid side to side while at the same time lifting it.  This is atwo person job and has worked for me in the past.

Good luck!

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums