My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Pages (2): 2
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 10:34:10 pm
Pete

Kev -

Did your front RUF bumper come with air ducts for the brakes or did you have to put them in.  The ones I have managed to get have cutouts for fogs and I'd rather have brake ducts like yours.

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 8:00:34 pm
Dirty Fuchs

Hi Pete,
sorry for the late reply.
I fitted the front dam air ducts and sprayed them in the same colour as the bumper. I fitted (moulded in) two bolts, one either side of the foglamp 'hole' then fitted the ducts on. I didnt want to mould them to the bumper as I wanted to have the 'seperate' look.
They do look good and I piped them up to the under wing oil coolers (not the brakes) but this would be quite simple to do.
Regards

Dirty Fuchs :agree:
You only live once so enjoy it.

Posted: Sep 12, 2009 9:50:21 am
Pete

Hi Kev -

Your the man.  I must admit they do look good. 

Have you got some close up pics so I can see what they look like.  I like the ideas of the 'seperate' look to the intakes.....

The second hand bumpers I bought have the cut outs for the fogs, which I dont want.

Nice work as usual. Youre our resident RUF expert  :agree:

Posted: Oct 06, 2009 3:02:40 pm
Dirty Fuchs

Hi All, firstly my apologies for not keeping up the thread - my computer has been under attack.
Well the Blackbird is now nearly finished - two little jobs and she's done (sill covers to finish).
The arch extending went well and so did the rear bumper mods and RUFalike exhaust system. Alls now painted and through the pictures you will see it grow. The first photo is the car as a standard 3.2 Carrera and a quick flick between photo 1 and photo 2 will show what has been done. In the first photo the Carrera looks almost 'anorexic' in comparison. Photo two has just the bumper 'tacked' on and all trim and adjustments are to come. The car is now identical in width and track as the famed yellowbird.

The next photo is showing the N/S of the car and note the flag mirror delete (now has RUF mirrors) and the arches.

The next photo shows the O/S (no sill covers yet fitted as they have to be modified (a la yellowbird).

A bit of a close-up of the rear arch.

A shot from the O/S/F.

And last but not least - the rear end totally finished.

The car has taken on a new dimension since the work and paint, (though a little dusty in the shot) the paint has now several clearcoats that will polish to a twelve yard shine, but of course I want it completely solid (about another three weeks) before the final polish, though it has turned out quite good so far. :agree2:
RUF mirrors are now on too.

Just to finish the sill covers and that's it finito........ Hope you like :blush:
Regards

Dirty Fuchs :agree2:

Posted: Oct 06, 2009 5:14:01 pm
Pete

Kev, your a star.  It looks so good.  Did you do everything yourself, body work, filling, spraying, polishing etc.

What a difference a couple fo inches make.  It truly is a fantastic job.

Cant wait to see the final assembly!  :agree:

Posted: Oct 17, 2009 11:33:55 am
Dirty Fuchs

Thanks Pete,
well here goes.
The Blackbird is now totally finished :agree2:

The sill covers had to be extended and modified slightly due to the way the rear arches now leave the car. I thought about turbo ones, however they are totally different. I aquired another sill cover and used some of this to extend the covers to follow the line of the re-modelled shape.... that went well.
On went the RUF mirrors (phew, what a difference in wind noise over flags - now very little) and a quick wash off and voila!!!!! Some enthusiasts that have seen it in the flesh have said the changes are 'subtle' which is what I wanted.
Have done about 1000 miles in it since and all's fine - sounds absoluteley AWSOME. :agree:
Some 'finished' pictures

Internally plated and welded original mirror mounts to accomodate the RUF's.

Here you can see the difference with the 'stance'.

Here the differences in the rear arches / sills can be seen.

On the arse end I dont think any explanation is needed here  :cool:

Engine bay.

Here is one of the interior with (although can't really be seen) the rear seat delete and the 'touring mod' as in some CTR's and Carrera CS.

Here is a shot where a couple of us got together for a sprint over the Welsh 'highlands'.. Not too sure if the differences between Blackbird and standard 'looking' Carrera's can really be seen here - good day that, despite the rain....

Hope you like and of course any comments greatfully received. I really enjoyed the +170 hours of graft here - yep, all my own work.... :blush:
Regards

Dirty Fuchs.

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 5:51:24 pm
Pete

Kev

Every time I look at your Blackbird I just fall in love with it a little more.  Its a real stunner.  Those extra couple of inches at the rear seem to make a world of difference. 

Be nice to get a video of the car having a blast so I can hear the sound......

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 6:53:00 pm
Dirty Fuchs

Hi Pete, et al.
Hope you had a great Christmas.
I have a 'crappy' sound track (reminds me to do a proper one). When I had the exhaust built I wanted it to replicate the CTR, not just in looks but the raw, metallic high pitched bark when on anything above 3.5k.
Well it certainly does that.
I have to apologise for the sound quality (buffeting till halfway) but it was the first time I used the camera and it was too close apparently - but I think you will get the gist.

We went to a cracking RS anniversary open day at Bristol Porsche a few weekends ago - good day with some good cars.
Meanings you like it, here is another of the Blackbird with a 'mere' Carrera GT in the background - the rear arches do look right.

Regards

Dirty Fuchs. :agree2:

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 9:05:18 pm
Pete

Tats a great photo!  The paint looks immaculate mate.  Did it get repainted as part of your overall project or was it already like that?

I have embedded the YouTube video for you.  I get the point.  Think it sounds nice.  Need to do another vid though! 

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 9:33:04 pm
Dirty Fuchs

Thanks Pete,
the parts I sprayed are the rear arches, front and rear bumpers (due to renewal). The paint is superb on the car and refelcts too much for really good photos in normal light (or so I'm told by photographers). Too shiny, what next?? (C)

I hope to do a near full chat drive by, but I have to find somewhere to do it. I dont want to do it on the local carriageway as no doubt I will have plod feeling my coller.
The sound is intoxicating, it really is, but not too loud. I have been lucky enough to see/hear the CTR live and I have to say that (other than the twin turbos spooling up) it sounds as near as damn it.

I will post the better sound track once I get a chance.
Regards

Dirty Fuchs :agree:

Posted: Feb 04, 2010 5:51:23 pm
Pete

Kev - Can you share some details on the heat tape that you have fitted to the rear silencer.  Any pics, prices and where to buy.

When I do my RUF rear bumper I want to be ready.  I was going  to line the bumper, but I like the idea of putting it onto the exhaust instead.

Posted: Feb 04, 2010 6:50:38 pm
hukent

It appears 'Blackbird' has been SOLD!!!!!
Hu.

HAPPINESS IS KNOWING YOU'RE WELSH.

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 10:23:36 pm
Pete

Yeah, I spoke to Kev and he said its gone.  He'll miss her for sure, but I understand he's got another 911 ready for a new and exciting project.  Im looking forward to seeing that one.

Posted: Sep 03, 2010 5:23:07 pm
Kieron

Pete, do you know where "we" can get RUF bumpers / body kit etc or is another RUF keep looking and maybe one day one will turn up job like the wheels?.

Posted: Sep 03, 2010 5:47:41 pm
Pete

Quote: Kieron at Sep 03, 2010 5:23:07 pm
Pete, do you know where "we" can get RUF bumpers / body kit etc or is another RUF keep looking and maybe one day one will turn up job like the wheels?.

Hi Kieron - nope, these are definitely available.  RUF sell them (really expensive) or you can go to an aftermarket copy.  One of the better ones are made by M Shaw.  Have a look here

www.mashaw.com/html/product_info.html

scroll down half way.

Alternatively have a search for second hand, but you may have to wait a bit....

Pages (2): 2

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums