My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: Jul 12, 2009 9:12:07 pm
JK

Well after 6 months of 911 ownership the 3.0 is starting to feel slow (ish) so I am looking into options for more power. I have been looking at a few 3.3 turbo engines for around the 4.5k mark, which with a bit of saving is just about doable.

Just want some advice really, is the turbo the best way to go? What about a mildly tuned 3.2? Or a 3.6? Where is the best place to source these engines and how much am I looking at to buy one?

Cheers all.

Jay.

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 8:51:50 am
Pete

This is one of the best questions you can ask and the whole topic is really exciting.....

There are so many options and the answer is a mix of how you want to do things and what power levels your looking for....

A 3.2 engine IMHO is a pretty bullet proof and you'll be able to extract some decent power from it.  You could do a 3.6 transplant from a 993 or go the Turbo route.

I guess you need to ask yourself a couple of questions first.

- budget (this can get really expensive);
- How much power you are looking for;
- NA or Turbo.  There's more room for power from a Turbo engine but sometimes its not going to be as usuable as you might think.  On a twisty track for example will you get the opportunity to get the power really going.  I personally like the grunt that an NA engine offers from low down in the rev range.
- How its going to be used;
- are you doing it yourself and paying for someone else to do it;
- Depending on the increment in power, what else you might have to do around the car to help tame it.  Brakes, suspension, trasnmission etc, etc.....

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 6:29:52 pm
JK

Not too sure how much power I want really, 250-300bhp would be nice. Budget is a big question mark, I'm not your usual 911 owner, I have a reasonable income and don't have a huge amount of disposable income!

I will be doing all the work myself as I am a mechanic so that should keep the cost down. I am hopeing the sale of my engine will help out considerably.

Will my 915 box bolt up to a 3.2? What kind of power could I squeeze out of one of them?

Car is now only used at the weekend if its dry and the occasional track day so I want usable power.

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 7:03:29 pm
Pete

Awesome.  You are like the majority of people on this site.  Genuine enthusiasts who need to spend wisely  :agree:

The 915 box will bolt straight onto a 3.2 engine.  I ran mine that way for a while.  You just need to notch the bellhousing so you can get the TCD sensor in there!

A 3.2 with cams, chip and exhaust should see you for 250plus bhp and that would be the most cost effective route for a 3.2.  Not sure what a 3.2 would cost you these days.  Probably £2,500.  I would say a pair of cams (964 profile maybe) US$600-700.

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 7:09:50 pm
JK

Cheers pete, I have seen a 3.2 on ebay for £2750 buy it now but £2250 starting bid so your estimate sounds about right. Not sure how much I might get for my 3.0 though??

Tuned 3.2 is a viable option then.

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 7:38:33 pm
Pete

Definitely an option.

This is my engine and is based on a 3.2:

.......................... but I went a bit crazy.

You should also consider maybe a 3,6 trasnplant from a 993.  That's been done a few times and that has the modern varioram.

If you get the 3.2 make sure you get the engine management unit and wiring loom to go with it if possible....

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 8:12:11 pm
JK

Pete that engine is awesome!! I am pretty sure that would have cost more to build than my 911 was to buy!

Did think about a later 3.6 but I cant find any for sale and I read on 911uk that when they fail they are fit for the bin not a rebuild.

The 3.2 on ebay for £2750 comes with everything. Any idea how much my lump is worth? Oh and do you have any videos of yours in action Pete?

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 9:55:56 pm
Pete

I did spend a few quid on parts.  But I bought wisely from the states when the exchange rates were better, and generally shopped around when it came to getting bits plated and powder coated etc.  The big ticket items were the 3.5l pistons and barrels and the MoTeC engine manageement......

I did think about a 3.6 transpant, but I really wanted to get stuck in and build it from a 3.2.....Like you I had read that the 3.2 unit was a strong reliable unit as a base.

The buy it now price of £2250 is pretty good if it comes with loom and engine management.  I guess you have to plan on doing some basic work on the engine to make sure its ship shape.  Does the ebay add suggest what condition its in?

If your 3.0 is standard and in good running order, I would say it has to be worth £1,500 to £2,000.  As always it all depends on whose out there looking at the time.  One way of finding our what you could get is to ring someone like Douglus Valley Breakers and ask how much to buy a 3.0l.  They will always be at the top end of the value.

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums