My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: May 02, 2009 5:22:02 pm
Pete

Went out for a blast in the sun today and it lasted all of 15 mins.  Floored the car and then sudden loss of power.  Looked under the car and the wire that goes from the spigot on the gearbox up to the engine throttle lever had snapped.

Has this happened to anyone else.  In all the years that I have been driving my 911 this has never happened. (wallbash)

Posted: May 25, 2009 8:26:12 am
Pete

After some exploration I have established what caused the problem. 

The throttle linkage from gearbox to engine bay is different for a 74-83 car, then differnet again from 84-86 and then different again from 87-89.  The linkage pivot on the gearbox is also diffrtent for theese three different eras.  The changes seem to be designed to accomodate the early 915 gearbox, then the 3.2 915 gearbox and lastly the G50 gearboxes.

The throttle lingage was rubbing on the bigger drive shafts of the G50.  So I have now installed the correct linkage from a G50, which has a profile designed in to clear the drive shaft.  All fixed and running perfectly again  :cool:

Posted: May 25, 2009 9:11:29 pm
JK

What a coincidence, I had the very same issue last Sunday. Called the Rac and they managed to fix it. Must be a resonable common failure.

Posted: May 31, 2009 9:20:43 am
Pete

Quote: JK at May 25, 2009 9:11:29 pm
What a coincidence, I had the very same issue last Sunday. Called the Rac and they managed to fix it. Must be a resonable common failure.

You were lucky that they fixed it at the roadside.  I had my car transported back home and fixed it there.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 8:16:37 pm
JK

They didn't actually do it at the roadside, I managed to cable tie the throttle open at 3000 rpm and limp it home. They repaired it on my drive the next day! Haven't managed to get the correct linkage yet but the repair is still going strong.

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums