My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 1:17:17 pm
911teo

I have had a little misfortune with my engine so now I find myself in the enviable position of having to sink some more cash on the engine.

Basically I have 2 main options:

1) Get a standard used 993 engine, swap the induction and use my set of Jenvey individual throttle bodies, plug in the Motec and get 350hp

2) Go 3.8L. Basically I have the rods, valves, retainers etc for a high revving motor. Would need to buy some 3.8 P&C, open the engine up, machining, etc and eventually get around 380-390hp

The difference beween the 2 routes is around 8-9k. That is an expensive 40hp....

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 4:58:43 pm
Pete

I have to say that option 1 is fastest, cheapest and the sensible choice but my heart would go for option 2.

While option 2 is far more expensive you would be getting (hopefully) a stronger engine better equiped to cope with the demands of a trackday drive, plus it would produce more torque.

I had a similar dilema.  I had a 3.2c donor engine to modify with 3.5l mahle P&C's, Jenveys and motec etc, or I could have bought and fitted a 993 3.6 litre and chipped the engine management for bargain basement prices.  The difference would have been about 60bhp.  I ended up doing the mahle conversion as my passion got the better of financial common sense.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 9:58:48 am
Jevvy

Alright Teo

Option 1 seems like a great plan for the time being - your car is so much more than just that engine and I'm sure a Motec'd 3.6 will provide plenty smiles per mile for the time being and allow you to just get some bloody miles done. What about just keeping standard intake and ECU on the 3.6 then its a straight swap for someone else once you have the 3.8 built?

I'll keep my eye out for any 3.6ers that might fit the bill - who you gona get to fit it?

Good luck mate - cant wait to see the blue one out to play again!

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 5:27:26 pm
Pete

Teo -

Have you decided which route you are taking with the engine?  Would be great to what adventure you are going down next.

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums