My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: Oct 19, 2008 9:12:13 pm
Pete

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 7:16:19 pm
Kieron

Pete did you do the rebuild yourself, what would you budget for a 3.5 conversion, (£4-5k ish) ??.

Posted: Aug 15, 2010 8:24:23 am
Pete

Yes, I did mine myself.  Having it built to the specification I have with engine management would cost £30k and upwards.

Building it yourself saves loads.  I bought all the parts in the US when the exchange rate was favourable.  The final budget depends on spec, but you could probably build a basic 3.5l for £5-£6k. 

Posted: Aug 15, 2010 12:53:31 pm
Kieron

My future plans would include an engine re build or swap, what would you suggest to spice up a 3.2, re built 10k ago, new heat exchangers, chipped, K&N & Dansk rear box. Would a cam swap do much and I am thinking about a full SS exhaust system poss H&W.

Posted: Aug 16, 2010 9:57:32 am
Pete

Hi Kieron - there are a few schools of thought on this one.  Some people just buy a second hand 3.6 engine from a 993 Varioram and transplant that with a the ECU into a 3.2 and away you go.  They are great engines and this is a relatively cheap way to get to 300bhp.

Or you can do what I did and buy a 3.2 engine and rebuild to a 3.5 twin spark.  I prefer this option.  I think the engine pulls better, but it is a more expensive option.  Here's how my car sounds with this engine:

Or you can tweek a good 3.2 engine.  An exhaust, chip and cams will make a world of difference to the car.  If your keeping the exisiting engine management, then maybe go for a pair of 964 cams, steve wong chip and a turbo thomas exhaust.  This is a good spend of money for the biggest change in power and torque.  Once you start going beyond this the money starts to dissapear!

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums