My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 11:42:02 am
Steve

what are the things to look for when buying a second hand 911 as am not looking for a money pit,but something i can use everyday

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 5:49:32 pm
kenny j

Hi
A good history on the car is the first place to start, some may dissagree but if the work has been carried out by the owner and you have bills. full service history signed by dealer in my opinion not so important.Ii HAVE HAD WORK DONE BY SO CALLED EXPERTS AND HAD THE CAR BACK AND DONE A BETTER JOB MYSELF
iF YOU BUY TARGA WATCH OUT FOR TORN ROOF COST YOU ABOUT 500 NOTES TO REPLACE AS I FOUND OUT TO MY COST.
iF YOUBUY FROM GARAGE TRY SPEAK TO PREVIOUS OWNER, IF THEY HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE SHOULD BE HAPPY TO GIVE YOU DETAILS ON CAR

DRIVE A FEW CARS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE. THEY CAN VARY AN AWFUL AMOUNT IN HANDLING AND PERFORMANCE
GET A FEEL FOR WHATS GOOD AND BAD
DONT EXPECT TO FIND A PERFECT CAR THEY ALL NEED TLC

Posted: Aug 08, 2009 11:16:38 pm
Pete

A good 911 will last you forever if you treat it correctly, but there are plenty of 911's out there that havent and they are just waiting to be bought by an unsuspecting new Porsche buyer.

The older 911's dont have the modern under body protective plastic shoelds that new cars have.  So there are a few areas you need to watch out for tell tails of corrosion. Here are a few spots to look out for:

- battery tray;
- front wings underneath the headlight bezels;
- around the fuel filler cap;
- kidney bowls;
- rear arches;
- inner sills;

This sounds alot, and it would be a really neglected 911 that has problems in all of these areas but you have to have your eyes open.

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums