My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Pages (2):1
Posted: Jan 02, 2010 3:12:18 pm
Pete

This one has escaped my best intentions over the years. 

I saw a 911 recently at the roadside on fire and I think now is the time that I get this done.

Has anyone fitted one and if so what one and where did they mount it.

Cheers Guys.

Posted: Jan 04, 2010 12:05:00 pm
Boydyrs

Pete, I have just fitted this into my race car....www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=45&osCsid=ht8lfnntnm42tgt5pef32u7p75

I fitted it on rear bulk head, as I wanted to fit passenger seat occasionally,  and routed hose/jets directly into engine bay and under dash pointing at driver footwell...FIA spec but you could go through into front compartment for second jet.

I routed hose down to centre tunnel and used plastic clips to secure.....took approx 2hrs to fit and you will have to make 2 x jet mount brackets from alu strip.

This is a 2 x jet system and adding additionals is not recommended.

Will try and get some pics etc

Raymond

Posted: Jan 05, 2010 8:02:58 am
Dirty Fuchs

Hi All,
though not a brilliant picture, this is where mine is fitted.
I built a 'touring pack' rear inside the car (great place to put all the additional luggage the fair sex wishes to take) and I fitted mine to the front of this, in the centre and behind/middle of the seats.

Easy to get at, secure (wouldnt want that puppy flying around in a bump) and out of the way.
Hope this helps.
Regards

Dirty Fuchs. :agree2:
You only live once so enjoy it.

Posted: Jan 05, 2010 10:40:13 am
Boydyrs

OK so apologise for pics, mobile phone, below.

I have bolted the holder to bulkhead with clamp screws, drill 2 x hole for clamp, insert both screws then tighten against holder and the clamp tightens against underside of bulk head, but also made 2 x alu brackets that also secure over the holder.

I also cable tied the extinguisher holder clamps to ensure they do not open.

Hopefully this will be OK for scruitineering and is safe if impact occurs!!?

Boydyrs

Posted: Jan 05, 2010 1:39:07 pm
Dirty Fuchs

That's a wicked jobby Boydryrs - should be no probs there should you smell smoke.
Looks like two means of operation too, is that one internal and the other external?
Cracking job though.
Regards

Dirty Fuchs. :agree:

Posted: Jan 05, 2010 9:56:06 pm
JK

Possibly the worst picture ever but you get the idea (I think). Mine is mounted just in front of the passenger seat.

Posted: Jan 05, 2010 9:59:19 pm
Pete

Quote: JK at Jan 05, 2010 9:56:06 pm
Possibly the worst picture ever but you get the idea (I think). Mine is mounted just in front of the passenger seat.

What make and capacity is your Jay?

Posted: Jan 05, 2010 10:10:13 pm
JK

Not sure mate, I will have a look tomorrow and let you know.

Posted: Jan 06, 2010 7:39:38 pm
JK

Mine is 1.75 litre by Safety devices. I did notice the year of manufacture was 1997 so I wouldn't have thought its up to much!!

Posted: Jan 09, 2010 1:08:37 pm
hukent

Personally I woudn't fit the latest type of Extinguisher, as you're better off getting out and peeing on the fire, they are next to useless.
You HAVE to fit this type if you wish to use your car in any form of Competition as the Blue Book regulations dictate it.
All my Competition cars have had a Halon or dry powder extinguisher fitted as well.
These WILL put out a fire..............provided it hasn't gone too far!
Hu.

HAPPINESS IS KNOWING YOU'RE WELSH.

Posted: Jan 09, 2010 1:17:39 pm
Pete

Quote: hukent at Jan 09, 2010 1:08:37 pm
Personally I woudn't fit the latest type of Extinguisher, as you're better off getting out and peeing on the fire, they are next to useless.
You HAVE to fit this type if you wish to use your car in any form of Competition as the Blue Book regulations dictate it.
All my Competition cars have had a Halon or dry powder extinguisher fitted as well.

Hi Hu

Have you got any pics, specs, links etc?

Posted: Jan 09, 2010 1:22:29 pm
Dirty Fuchs

I had Halon fitted in my old twin cam after seeing a demonstration of the stuff putting a fuel fire out - tremendous stuff. However, is this not banned now?

I seem to remember something about it not only being good for extinguishing fire, but also all life forms within 200yards?????
I know a bus Depot Engineer who removed hundreds of them from his busses as kids would break in and use them for 'blowing thier minds'.... Police found several kids on an Aberdare mounting with bags over thier heads inhaling the contents of Halon extinguishers for a high  :o

Not too sure what the 'rules' are on this now.
Regards

Dirty Fuchs. :agree:

Posted: Jan 09, 2010 2:26:53 pm
hukent

As long as you have a 'legal' extinguishing sysytem, you can carry whatever extra you choose.
They were only banned because of the propellent,that's what the kid's sniff!!!!
Hu.

Posted: Jan 09, 2010 2:29:00 pm
hukent

Quote: Pete at Jan 09, 2010 1:17:39 pm
Quote: hukent at Jan 09, 2010 1:08:37 pm

Hi Hu

Have you got any pics, specs, links etc?

Cheapest and best place to get a good small one is a Caravan Accessory shop.
Hu.

Posted: Jan 10, 2010 10:59:13 am
Pete

Can you plumb any extinguisher in like Boyders one, or do only specific ones fit the hoses tec?

Posted: Jan 10, 2010 12:58:06 pm
hukent

Quote: Pete at Jan 10, 2010 10:59:13 am
Can you plumb any extinguisher in like Boyders one, or do only specific ones fit the hoses tec?

The nozzle needs to be threaded, otherwise you can't get a good seal.
Hu.

Posted: Jan 10, 2010 1:58:42 pm
Pete

Cheers Hu

Posted: Jan 10, 2010 8:55:20 pm
spenner

Regarding the halon extingushers, I know a bloke who sells/maintains and fits these things to shops,schools and commercial places etc, he got me one for my kitchen a couple of years ago when they were getting phased out and when I tried to get another the other year he told me they were unavailable as they were illeagle to use in buildings now. Must admit I still have mine at home and would have one in the car if I could get one, I have used them before on electrical fires and they are superb as when the fires out theres no powder residue.
Craig

Posted: Jan 12, 2010 8:11:14 pm
Boydyrs

Interested in the comments re MSA approved extinguishers......why would these be approved if they are no use?
I would presume/hope that these had been tested prior to approval and meeat all guidline/expectations.
The unit I fitted came complete except for mounts for jets and they are a push fit and seal.
Not desputing as I havent tested for obvious reasons but woldl hope that MSA would know what they are talking about
Boydyrs

Posted: Jan 26, 2010 9:16:02 pm
Pete

Pages (2):1

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums