My Porsche 911 Forum
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 1:53:26 am
Arbola

(confused) I need some help and everyone I have asked every post I have made have not produced a hint to fixing my problem. I have a 1974 Carrera. In a bas stet of disrepair. The cars tires are flat so Iwanted to remove the wheels to replace the tires. I cannot get what I assume is a locking  nut off. It looks more like a stud with no ridges that a socket or a wrench could grip. Anyone have a clue as how o get the wheels of of this car?
Arbola
Never let the winds of anger Blow out the flame of intellegence.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 8:17:25 am
Pete

The genuine Porsche locking wheeel nuts look round and smooth on the outside but have a castleated ridge at the base.  If they are of this type then you just the original locking nut removal socket supplied by porsche.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 4:16:05 am
Arbola

I talked with a Porshe Mechanic and Parts manager that cut their teeth on early 911's They identified what I have on my wheels as aftermarket. Since removal tools are no longer available they suggested the following fix. " Using a 17mm hole saw attach to my drill and use my imagination but take my time.
Arbola
Never let the winds of anger Blow out the flame of intellegence.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 7:55:05 am
Pete

Im afraid if they are aftermarket you dont have much chance of finding the proper spanner.

I think a saw of perhaps a drill or small chissle is your best bet.  My advice would be to make sure you dont damage the wheel as they are costly to refurb.  If you damage the stud thet it will be only a very small expense to replace.  Taking your time is key for this job.

If uou can get a saw between the nut and the wheel i think its do-able...........

MyPorsche911  ·  www.MyPorsche911co.uk · Forums